Sunday, January 2, 2011

July 21st. Brattleboro VT. to Manchester, NH.

July 21st. Brattleboro VT. to Manchester, NH. Elevation: 210 ft. 86 miles. Seven miles out of Brattleboro around Chesterfield, NH. we cross the New Hampshire State Line. I made a point to ride very cautious the last two days. The terrain was very hilly; we all felt that it was one of the most strenuous day. At the 23rd. mile Gilsum Road changed to Old Sullivan Road where we rode on a dirt road for a mile which was down hill and extremely bumpy. At some point this day, I started to become very pensive and sad due to the fact that the whole tour was coming to an end. The last day I was going to ride with the many fine friends I had ridden for 52 wonderful days. I also had mixed feelings on how to ride--part of me wanted to ride fast because Lou, Helen and Stephanie were going to be waiting for me in Manchester and another part of me wanted to prolong the ride because the whole tour was coming to an end. Second SAG stop was in Francestown,NH. by some stables and an important hall. Across the road was a church--the whole area was a historical site (Levi Woodbury) was born here. Somehow we got to the hotel very early, maybe we knew it was the day of the banquet and we wanted to relax and freshen-up for the banquet. Again, in the hotel my mind sank in gloom because it would be the last time I would be with this great group of friends. Jay and his wife shared with the group several pizzas and Tom Montville's friend brought Vermont Cheese, crackers and beer and we party in the lobby. Later in the early evening Lou, Helen and Stephanie join me in the lobby where I introduce them to the group gathered in the lobby. We all proceeded to the banquet room Lou, Helen and Stephanie set with me. (2937) Steve Foley from Tasmania at the NH. State Line, (2939) Myself by the NH. State Line, (2940) Welcome-Bienvenue to NH. sign, (2941) Francestown church on left side of road-Levi Woodbury historical sign, (2943) Comfort Inn Hotel Function Room-Helen, Stephanie, Lou and myself, (2944) Tom Montville-Rutgers University Professor and myself. Tom and I rode many days together. (2945) Jay Rohrer from Virginia, his wife, daughter and son in law at banquet, (2946) Richard Tangard also from Virginia and his wife (a Greek Lady).

No comments: