Sunday, January 2, 2011

July 22nd. The Final Day of Our Journey Across America by Bicycle.

July 22nd. The Final Day of Our Journey Across America by Bicycle. Manchester to Portsmouth NH. Elevation: 210 ft. to sea level. 53.8miles. At the banquet, Audrey made a suggestion, a very well deserved request, for Surghe to be at the front and lead all the cyclist into the beach for the dipping of front wheel ceremony at Wallis State Beach in Portsmouth,NH. During the dinner it cross my mind that maybe, just maybe the support crew would ask me to be one of the cyclist leading the group to the wheel dipping ceremony because I was the oldest in the group. I had a light breakfast and loaded the luggage at 7: 30 a.m., right at 7:35 we started on our final ride to the beach. I rode with several groups, but actually on this last day all the groups stayed together; we even visited Exeter Preparatory School together. During the ride I had a pensive moment where three Archangels were hovering over all the cyclist as they rode into Wallis State Beach. I was amongst the second group that arrived at Rye Junior High School, designated place for all cyclists to fall in formation to ride as single group into Wallis State Beach. To my surprise just as I had thought during the banquet about the support crew asking me to be one of the cyclists leading the group---Andy asked me, John Douglas, Steve Foley (from Tasmania) to accompany Surghe to lead the group. It was really a true pleasure and honor to be one of the four to lead the main group of cyclists. For four miles Surghe(Trindad/Tobago), John Douglas(Seattle, Washington), Myself and Steve Foley (Tasmania) lead the whole group of cyclist to Wallis State Beach, NH. As we approached the beach I could see my dear Jelica (what a joy to see her) Bane and Daka; they were taking photos and movies of the ceremonial ride to the beach. Once we reached the sandy beach there was complete extacy, jubilation-everyone (guest, cyclists, relatives and bystanders congratulating and hugging each other. Some, like Skip jumped into the water, others took pictures of the dipping of the front wheel into the water. My dear Jelica and I embraced and kissed and proceeded to take photos of the different riders. Somewhere from the beach amongst the many people, I heard someone calling my name; it was a person I didn't recognize, but I could tell he was a very friendly person --it was Sister Maria's friend from Ireland, Michael Ryan, principal or retired principal from Providence School also intimate friend of Richard Walsh (from Ireland) another cyclist. Michael Ryan recognize me from the description Sister Maria had given him. !What a journey! God delivered me safely and in good health. Thank you dear Lord for reminding me everyday that this endeavor was for the well-being of the least of your children, the Mayans of the Highlands of Guatemala. This constant reminder gave me the energy and the impetus to ride, climb and enjoy the long distances. ! Thanks be to God! (2951)Manchester,NH. final loading time and departure time, (2952)same as previous, (2953)group of cyclists with AB B jersey, (2954)Kingston Village Market SAG stop all with AB B Gary, Carey, Wayne, Fred, Skip, John(El Rancho H. S.), Don, Steve Quin(Australia), Gary(Chicago), Forest (Maryland), (2955) same as previous, (2956) Richard Walsh(Ireland), and Allen (England), (2957) Racking Crew-Gary from Calif.,Al from Germany, Wayne from Wales, Steve Quin from Australia, John from Calif.-El Rancho H.S., (2959) Group picture at Rye Elementary School - Richard from Virginia, John from Buffalo,NY., Don Chism, Skip King, Tom Montville professor at Rutgers, Myself, John(Kip) and C. J., Audrey, Susan, Amy, John's wife from Buffalo,NY., (2960)same as previous, (2961) Group picture Rye Junior H.S., (2962) Christina, Michelle and Gerard at Wallis State Beach, NH.

No comments: